The order: lemon and vanilla flavoured cupcakes with lemon and vanilla tops + 6 vanilla flavoured baby girl faces. I decided on pink and lilac coloured butter cream and some delicate decorations on top – tiny flowers, sugar balls and little tiny feet.
They needed to be delivered at 9.30 Saturday morning so in order for them to be at their freshest I started baking them after work on Friday night. I started at about 7.30pm and powered through til 1am, so I was quite weary by the time my head hit the pillow. Weary but happy :)
I iced the little faces on Saturday morning, a lovely early start, which I actually don’t mind at all. There’s something quite peaceful and relaxing about being up that early when no one is around. It takes 15 mins per face which I think was slightly quicker than last time, hooray!
The cupcake recipe I use and adapt is from a brilliant book called The Primrose Bakery.
A batch and a half of their recipe made 18 cupcakes (size wise, these are larger than bun cases but smaller than muffin cases). 110g unsalted butter, softened
225g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
150g self raising flour
125g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until well smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing into the mixture between additions.
- Sift the flours into a separate, smaller, bowl.
- Measure out the milk in a jug and then add the vanilla to this.
- Add 1/3 of the flour to the large bowl. Beat well until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the milk and beat again.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour, then another 1/3 of the milk, then the last of the flour and then the last of the milk, beating well between additions.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Fill about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 25 mins until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes.
- Then turn out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Decorate as you choose.
The only thought in my head when driving back to the house was the messy kitchen that I’d left behind me. I stepped into the kitchen and had to look again. Spotless. It was absolutely spotless. Himself had it cleaned it when I was out. It’s always the little things, or in this case slightly big things. How lucky am I ;-)
P.S. Happy Valentines Day everyone!